What does Lord Shiva stand for? What's his significance in Hinduism?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Milind Prakash
    Participant

Hinduism has evolved over the years. Vedic principles and philosophy is a little different from the post-vedic era. Shiva is considered as part of the holy trinity or the trimurtis and among them Shiva stands for destruction. He is also considered the Parabrahma. I would like to understand a bit more about the significance of Lord Shiva in Hinduism and our lives.

Manisha Arora
    Participant

What is the importance of time in concept of creation?
    Shiva is the Kalaroopam. (Personification of time)

Who or What is responsible for the regeneration and destruction of universe?
    Shiva is the destructor and the regenerator.

Who is the symbolism for all the Yoga and consciousness that we try to reach?
    Shiva is that Adi Yogi.

Who is the symbolism or the first Guru, of Dance, arts, wisdom and Yoga to humans?
    Shiva in the form of Dakshinamurthy and Nataraja.

What is the symbolism of Masculanity and Femininity that is must for the balance to exist in the world?
    Shiva and Shakti as Arthanareeshwara.

Who is the benovalent one, who bestows boons to people just as they Meditate?
    Shiva as Bholashankara.

Who is the one capable of even holding the bad poison in his throat to let the good follow?
    Shiva as Neelakantha.

Who is the one who is the symbolism for reaching the state beyond materialistic attractions and temporary attachments?
    Shiva as Kamadahana murthy.

Who is the one whose anger or wrath can lead to the destruction of evil?
    Shiva as Kaalabhairava, Bhasmanga dhara.

Who is the symbolism for the capability to achieve self consciousness beyond the realms of ones physical existence and perceive it, through kundalini?
    Shiva as Triambak, Trilochana.

Who holds the water body that is the basis for life?
    Shiva as Gangadhara.

Who is the one who is beyond form and human perception?
    Shiva as Linga.

Who is the mighty force under whom the 5 elements of earth are controlled?
    Shiva as Rudra or Bhoota Linga.

Who is the protector of humanity and animal life on earth?
    Shiva as Pashupati.

What is the cosmic sound and that which holds importance in the whole of Eastern philosophy?
    Shiva as Omkareshwara. “OM”

In short Shiva is the Hinduism.

I have borrowed this wonderfully written answer from a reply by Auro Sista here.

Shreyas Naik
    Participant

The basic law of nature behind this is that everything comes from nothing and goes back to nothing. Shiva literally translates to that which is not. The entire galaxy is just a tiny ant in the mighty universe. The rest of it is vast emptiness that is known as Shiva. So it is the womb from which the universe was born and into which it will go back. Be it science or religion, belief is what is more important. Every ritual that we do has an impact in our lives. There is no religion without science or vice versa – Lord Shiva

Mahesh Ch
    Participant

Am a follower of lord shiva, Every Monday I visit near by lord shiva temple and offer my prayers by chanting lingashtakam, Many of my problems got solved as lord shiva heard my prayers.

rohitahuja2018
    Participant

If you talk about astrology then lord shiva is called someshwara that is Moon one who rules the “mana” emotions , if you talk hindu scriptures he is called as kaal bhairava one who controls time, rudra the destroyer and the creator of bramha and visnu , however in other vishnu purana lord vishnu has created bramha and shiva and cyclically the trilok create each other that is Time (Shiva ), Space (Vishnu ) and Matter ( Bramha ) there are many other roles of Shiva which is not possible for me to describe here completely.

sharmaakshay19101
    Participant

lord shiva lives on mountains and cure the problems of his bhakts who prays heartly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.