Which Hindu Scriptures refer to Rama and Krishna worshiping Shivalinga?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Manisha Arora
    Participant

I have heard in a few talks by important Hindu swamis that Krishna and Rama worshiped Shivalinga. Is it true? I haven’t read this in any of the scriptures.

Milind Prakash
    Participant

In Verse 19 of Yuddha Kanda – Book Of War, Chapter [Sarga] 123, Valmiki Ramayana, Lord Rama himself says that he worshiped Mahadeva.

एतत् कुक्षौ समुद्रस्य स्कन्धावारनिवेशनम् || ६-१२३-१९
    अत्र पूर्वं महादेवः प्रसादमकरोत्प्रभुः |

“See this island, located in the middle of the ocean, where my troops were stationed. At this place, the lord Shiva (the supreme deity) formerly bestowed his grace on me.”
    Actually the above verse of Valmiki Ramayana is describing this event which is described in Yuddha Kanda of Adhyatma Ramayana of Brahmanda Purana:

सेतुमारभमाणस्तु तत्र रामेश्वरं शिवम् ।
    संस्थाप्य पूजयित्वाह रामो लोकहिताय च ॥ १॥
    प्रणमेत्सेतुबन्धं यो दृष्ट्वा रामेश्वरं शिवम् ।
    ब्रह्महत्यादिपापेभ्यो मुच्यते मदनुग्रहात् ॥ २॥
    सेतुबन्धे नरः स्नात्वा दृष्ट्वा रामेश्वरं हरम् ।
    सङ्कल्पनियतो भूत्वा गत्वा वाराणसीं नरः ॥ ३॥
    आनीय गङ्गासलिलं रामेशमभिषिच्य च ।
    समुद्रे क्षिप्ततद्भारो ब्रह्म प्राप्नोत्यसंशयम् ॥ ४॥

During the construction of bridge, Rama installed Mahadev and worshipped him calling by the name Rameshwar Mahadev. He described his glory, “If someone visits the bridge (setubandh), and prostrates to Rameshwar mahadev he is liberated of the severest of sin of killing Brahmins.” Rama stated, “One should bathe here in sea, and having darshan of Rameshwar Mahadev, he should go to kashi, to fetch ganga water. Offering the Ganga water of Kashi over Rameshwar Mahadev, he should throw the pot in sea. Thus, he is bound to get salvation.”
    Also In chapter 31 Greatness of Ramesvara in Kotirudra Samhita of Shiva Purana (Pg No – 1381), Rama worshiped Shiva’s earthen image to sought blessings of Lord Shiva. Shiva later at supplication of Rama, took Linga form for devotees.

Suta said,

When Rama, the devotee of Shiva, took the water and about to drink, it occurred to him at the will of Shiva.
    ” I have not yet had sight of Siva, the great lord, the bestower of all bliss. How can the water be taken in? ”
    After saying this, he drank water and then performed the worship of Shiva’s earthen image.
    He worshiped Shiva performing all the sixteen ancillary services(Shodashopchar pooja) like invocation etc. with devotion according to rules obtaining.
    After propitiating Shiva with obeisances, divine eulogies etc. strenously, Rama joyously prayed to Shiva with devotion.
    Satisfying with Rama’s devotion, Shiva blessed him to be victorious.

Rama said,

O Siva, if you are pleased, you shall stay here, O lord, to sanctify the world and to render help to people.
    Suta said,

Thus implored Shiva took up the phallic image named Ramesvara. It is now famous on surface of the world.
    Lord Krishna established Bilvodakeshwara Linga as described in this chapter of Harivamsha Parva of Mahabharata:

विल्वोदकेश्वरो नाम भवितामिहानघ ।
    देवेश्वर त्वयास्थापि देवो सिद्धोपयायन ।।

O the one without any sin! O lord of lords! O lord! I will remain here by the name of the lord Bilvodakeshvara as you installed me. According to me, all requests made from here will become fruitful.
    Also In Chapter one Acquisition of sons by Sri Krishna in Vaayaveeyasamhita section two of Shiva Purana (Pg No- 1912), Krishna performed Pasupata Vrata under guidance of sage Upamanyu, to attain a son like Shiva. Shiva blessed him with son Samba.

When dirt of Krishna had been quelled, Upamanyu dusted him with Bhasma repeating mantras “Agniriti” etc. He was then made to perform Pasupata vrata for 12 months. Then the sage imparted him the great knowledge. The divine Pasupata sages of duly completed rites surrounded him.
    Then at the behest of preceptor (Upamanyu), Krishna of great prowess performed penance for attainment of son with Shiva and Parvati as the deity aimed aimed at.

Due to that penance, at the end of year, Lord Shiva, equipped with great splendor and accompanied by his Ganas and Parvati appeared there.
    After bowing to Shiva of handsome features, who appeared before him for granting boons, Krishna eulogized him with palms joined in reverence.
    Krishna of composed mind obtained his son Samba of good qualities bequeathed by Siva who was delighted by penance.
    Since it was Shiva accompanied by Amba, who blessed him with a son, he named Jambavati’s son Samba.

Atharvasiras Upanishsad describes the Pashupata vrata as that which consists of besmearing one’s own body with ashes and at the same time muttering mantra — “Agni is ashes, Vayu is ashes, Sky is ashes, all this is ashes, the mind, these eyes are ashes.” Source.

Samba was later responsible for end of Yadava Race. This was the main reason Krishna worshiped Destroyer God (Lord Shiva).

Ref: This answer On Hinduism.Stackexchange

stevesadh7
    Participant

Interestingly interesting info

sharmaakshay19101
    Participant

both of them worships shivalinga

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.