No products in the cart.
Vishnu is the preserver and upholder of dharma in Hinduism. He is the supreme self in Vaishnavism and one of the three supreme deities (trimurti) in Hinduism. Vishnu in essence means the giver and provider of things.
Along with Brahma, the creator and Shiva, the destroyer, Lord Vishnu is one of the three main male deities in Hinduism and they are together known as the TRIMURTI. Being a part of the Trinity, He has taken ten incarnations to save the planet and the good people from the hands of evils, demons or Asuras time and again. Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth, fortune and prosperity, is the wife and active energy of Vishnu. When Lord Vishnu incarnated on the Earth as the avatars : Rama and Krishna, Lakshmi incarnated as his respective consorts : Sita (Rama’s wife) and Rukmini (Krishna’s wife).
According to the extant Hindu texts and traditions, Lord Vishnu is considered to be resident in the direction of the “Makara Rashi” (the “Shravana Nakshatra”), which is about coincident with the Capricorn constellation. In some of the extant Puranas and Vaishnava traditions, Vishnu’s eye is considered to be situated at the infinitely distant Southern Celestial Pole.
- Also known as Narayana (means the dweller of water and the dweller of human beings), Vasudeva and Hari, Lord Vishnu is usually depicted as a pale blue being having the dark complexion of water-filled clouds and having four arms. His incarnations of Rama and Krishna also have a similar depiction.
- He holds a ‘padma’ (lotus flower) in his lower left hand, the ‘Kaumodaki gada’ (mace) in his lower right hand,
- the ‘Panchajanya shankha’ (conch) in his upper left hand and
- the ‘Sudarshana Chakra’ ( the discus weapon) which is considered to be the most powerful weapon according to Hindu Religion, in his upper right hand.
- Vishnu’s mount (Vahana : on which the Lord Vishnu travels) is Garuda, the eagle. Vishnu is commonly depicted as riding on his shoulders.
The actual number of Vishnu’s auspicious qualities is countless, although his six most-important “divine glories” are :
- ‘Jnana’ (Omniscience), defined as the power to know about all beings simultaneously.
- ‘Aishvarya’ (Sovereignty), derived from the word ‘Ishvara’ which means unchallenged rule over all.
- ‘Shakti’ (Power or Energy), the capacity to maintain or challenge dharma.
- ‘Bala’ (Strength), the capacity to support everything by will and without any fatigue.
- ‘Virya’ (Vigour), the power to retain immateriality as the Supreme Spirit or Being in spite of being the material cause of mutable creations.
- ‘Tejas’ (Splendor), which expresses self-sufficiency and the capacity to overpower everything by spiritual effulgence.
- Other important qualities attributed to Vishnu are :Gambhirya (inestimatable grandeur), Audarya (generosity) and Karunya (compassion).
We know for a fact that the divine powers listen to our prayers when made from the core of the heart. So, to pray with a pure heart and mind is very important. According to ‘Bhagavatham’, “Of the different types of prayers, the prayers to Lord Vishnu are best.”
Lord Vishnu Mantras & Slokas
The other important mantras to please Lord Vishnu are as follows :
Mukti (Liberation) Mantra
This twelve letter mantra is also known as the liberation mantras as it is believed to relieve the person who is chanting this mantra from all the hardships of life.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
“Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya”
Meaning: ‘I bow to the Lord who lives in the hearts of all.’
Benefit: Chanting of this Mantra develops compassion. The divine light awakens kindness and love within the one who recites and helps him to overcome challenges easily.
Narayana Mantra – Vishnu Mool Mantra
It is a simple, yet powerful mantra to please the preserver, Lord Vishnu and is also known as Vishnu Mool Mantra.
ॐ नमो नारायण
“Om Namo Narayanaya”
Meaning: “I bow before the Almighty.” Benefit : Whoever chants the mantra reaches the ultimate goal of Vaikuntha planet where one attains eternal blissful life. Vaikuntha means ‘no desires’ and it is the supreme spiritual abode. It is said that there is nothing that exists beyond Vaikuntha.
Benefit: Chanting this Mantra to Lord Vishnu frees one from material and physical attachments. He will no longer be afraid of loss, aging and death.
The Ultimate Vishnu Mantra
This mantra depicts about the avatars of Lord Vishnu that He has taken to save the world from evils through different ages and periods.
“Om shreem krishnaya shreem
shreem shreem govindaya gopalaya goloka
sundaraya sathyaya nithyaya paramathmane paraya
meghathmane shreem narasimhavapushe namah”
Benefit : Chanting this mantra for 91 days ensures maximum protection for one. It clears one’s heart of negative emotions and helps atone for past karma. It wards off evil and blesses him with prosperity, wealth, wisdom and success in all aspects of life.
Shri Vishnu Mantra
त्वमेव माता च पिता त्वमेव त्वमेव बन्धुश्च सखा त्वमेव ।
त्वमेव विद्या द्रविणम् त्वमेव त्वमेव सर्वम् मम देव देव ॥
“Tvameva Maataa Ca Pitaa Tvameva Tvameva Bandhush-Ca Sakhaa Tvam-Eva
Tvameva Viidyaa Dravinnam Tvam-Eva Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva”
Meaning: ‘O God, Thou art my father and mother
Also art thou my friend and brother.
The object of wealth and education,
In thee I see my hope and salvation.’
Benefit: Recitation of this Mantra helps the devotee gain more concentration power while Maha Vishnu himself stays in favour of him and guides him through every aspect of life.
Therefore, to bring all the blessings of Lord Vishnu into one’s life, he should chant these mantras with utmost faith and concentration. It also enhances intuitive power and increases one’s wisdom, peace of mind as well as giving one an inner radiance.
However, to get the results that one hopes for, he should keep in mind the following points :
- One should freshen up before beginning the prayer service.
- One should Devote oneself completely to Lord Vishnu and open himself to the positivity of the Universe.
Devotees should, hence, chant effortlessly and regularly, and the changes will surely happen as Lord Vishnu would shower on them his blessings and protect them from anything evil.