Prayer to ask for forgiveness

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    iamsubra100
    Participant

There are a few life incidents that I wanted to talk about:

Twenty years back, I was a naive young college student. I was very ambitious in life but at the same time very close to my mother and father. Very attached to them. I however made some small mistakes at that time which I feel impacted my parents a lot. Few years later, my Mom in fact passed away. Please do not judge me for this. I was naive then and didn’t realize the big mistake I was doing. I was young and brash then.

I also had a sister then who was very close to me. We had a small misunderstanding then and for a long time, I felt very sad about it. For a long time, the festival of Raksha Bandhan would bring tears to my eyes for this one incident. I don’t want to go into who did wrong here or what went wrong, but it hurt me a lot that because of me (maybe indirectly), my beloved sister got hurt. Of course, she has a heart of gold and is still as caring and affectionate to me as ever.

Many years later, I got married, had a child. Now I am going thru a terrible patch – My darling daughter is having serious health issues. I don’t even know how things will shape up for her and am very worried for her.

Somehow I feel God is punishing me for the sins I committed twenty years back, which makes me feel really bad. How can I atone for these sins? I am not a bad person. Will God forgive me? Any prayer I can chant regularly to improve the above situations. Please advise.

tanmoy
    Participant

Hi friend, knowingly or unknowingly, intentionally or unintentionally, we commit mistakes at different stages of life. At a subsequent stage, when we are facing difficulties, we look back and attribute the hardships to those mistakes and feel sorry. We wish we could turn back the calendar or time, and then re-do everything in a proper way. But alas, life is not designed that way. But at the same time, the very feeling of repentance and remorse, tracing the wrong doings and to whom it was done – this act itself is half the remedy. Remaining remedy comes through good deeds like helping the poor and needy in healthcare or providing means of livelihood or education.
    Hinduism denotes some of the hardships you are facing as due to “pitru-dosha” and then placement of certain stars in specific houses to explain sour relationships with siblings. They prescribe “ashlesha bali”, “narayana bali” etc to remove those hardships. But in my own experience, we have performed all these in a related context but nothing great has happened.
    Could you please talk to your sister and apologize for your wrong doings, and if father is alive, please talk to him and beg his pardon. Stand in front of your mother’s photo and talk to her, pour out, let the tears come. You will feel relieved and lighter.

mrchan882
    Participant

Hi iamsubra100, In our life, we all did some kind of mistake. So, don’t bother about that mistake. If you truly realize your mistake, that’s enough. If you feel bad about this go to the temple and pray god and donate food for poor people. Then, definitely, you can feel better. Spend some valid time with your family. God will forgive you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.